Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Progress report - Vintage Vogue dress

Spent a good part of the day on this dress and so far so good. A few things I learned through the day....

- the Japanese fabric is an absolute dream. It's easy to work with and has a great weight and feel. I'm already happy with it's selection for the pattern

- I used pattern weights for the first time for cutting from Judis Studio. Made placing, replacing and cutting the pattern so much easier. I don't know why I persisted with pins for so long. These weights aren't cheap. I bought one set (two may be better) but it saved a heap of time

- I also used basing tape to insert the zip. I'd been dreading the zip, not having done one for so long and I always find them a pain. I'm not one for doing a lot of basting so any short cut  is welcome. I found the tape really useful to use with a great result. I'd does make the needle sticky and you have to make sure you don't get any adhesive on the zip. Will see how it goes in the longer term...
Double sided basting tape in place

Zip stuck in place on tape an fabric

Final result - not too bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...