Sunday, September 18, 2011

What was I thinking.....

So I enthusiastically bought the Japanese "Stylish Dress Book" - so many lovely, comfy, summery clothes.

Then decided I would make this pattern - pretty, relaxed, quick to make perhaps - first mistake.

Next I selected a poly fabric that I bought cheaply to test the pattern. The fabric was my second mistake.
satin binding as self binding to hard to handle
After working with help from Gay to decipher the Japanese pattern, I found the fabric challenging to handle and the construction not as straight forward as hoped. Then, I finished it! Not good!
bat wing sleeves - never a good look on me - why don't I learn!!!
Nope - not pregnant
back and front are the same
Ok, what did I learn?
1. Choose a soft cotton like a voile. The poly did not drape as I expected despite being slippery to handle giving the final maternity top effect. I think the fabric choice would make most of the difference to the finished garment.
2. Don't add any seam allowance. I did and it's not needed.
3. If you're full busted, this pattern may not be for you (or me for that matter).

This will now be quietly filed in the "live and learn" category. Now time for a cuppa and a rethink....

Monday, September 12, 2011

Vintage McCall's 4475 dress

I've finally embarked on making my first genuine vintage pattern after banging on about them for sometime. So, I'm going out on a limb and will be posting about my progress as I go.

The pattern: 1950's McCall's 4475 dress. It has a gathered bodice (back and front). I'll be making version A which has a gathered skirt. As you can see from the pattern diagram, this gathering is at the front of the skirt.

The fabric: White Russian Floral cotton from here. As it's a lightweight cotton, I may have to find a solution to prevent the skirt from being too sheer.
The victim recipient: My sister (trusting girl)
The plan: I've carefully traced and refolded the pattern. I'm making adjustments to suit, specifically, lengthening the bodice, adding some more width to the sleeve for comfort and shortening the skirt to knee length. I'll make a muslin to check fit and go from there...wish me luck...

Sunday, September 4, 2011

New York Cape - completed

Okay so it's spring and I just finished a winter coat - my version of the New York Cape pattern . So, albeit a little late for winter this year but I'll be ready for next year. I used a heavy weight pure Scottish wool - a bargain purchase and made my own binding from a faux light weight suede fabric (I was in thrifty mode).

The  pattern was super easy to assemble, the longest part was applying all the binding - a skill I still have to perfect. This wasn't helped by the thickness of the wool I chose - something lighter weight may have been easier.

With help from the lovely Gay at her Studio, I made corded buttonholes and covered buttons with the binding fabric.

A great little pattern and I especially like the way it fits over the shoulders. Avoid making the binding to  make it easier on yourself.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...