Saturday, October 29, 2011

A Redingote?

Here's a fashion term that was new to me. I found it on one of my new vintage cocktail dress patterns - "One-piece dress with detachable overskirt and redingote".
-source-
So I looked it up and found that a redingote originated from the 18th century when it was used for travel on horse back. Originally it was a bulky, heavy, utilitarian coat but overtime it developed into a more fitted fashion garment. 
-source-
Apparently today's redingote is marked by a close fit at the chest and waist, a belt, and a flare toward the hem, as in the blue version in the vintage pattern. It's not a term I see often - did it have a revival in the 1960s I wonder?

Personally, it was the fringed version of the dress in the pattern that caught my attention...so swinging 60s!

2 comments:

  1. My Mamma's 1951 wedding dress was a satin redingote over a Chantilly lace halter! We were seriously skeptical that she just mispronounced "wedding coat" but she would have none of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm very interesting! Cool pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...